Facts and figures
Main developments 2015
Ambitions and performance
Sustainable energy for everyone continues to be our mission and making energy fully sustainable in collaboration with our customers is the core of our strategy. In order to quantify the degree to which we achieve our strategic goals, we monitor our progress with strategic key performance indicators (KPIs).
In the overview below, the KPIs are grouped by strategic theme. This ensures consistency in KPI reporting. The results are explained in more detail in the section Progress.1 In 2015, we have redefined the strategy. We focus on three growth areas: Client Sources, Smart Sustainable Solutions and Energy as a Service. The redefined focus offers maximum support for customers who want to produce energy locally with a focus on integration, increased sustainability and electrification. The strategy adjustment led to fine-tuning of the set of strategic KPIs in 2015 and the formulation of corresponding concrete targets.
Relevant for customers - New products and services
Number of customer contracts Eneco2 [in millions]
Net Promoter Score (NPS) Eneco [%]
Customer satisfaction Stedin3 [%]
Relevant for customers - Uninterrupted access to energy
Average interruption duration electricity per affected customer4 [minutes]
Average interruption duration gas [seconds]4
Impact on the planet - One Planet Thinking
Reduction of effect electricity consumption of customers on climate change compared with 2012 [%]
Reduction of effect electricity consumption of Eneco Group on climate change compared with 2012 [%]5
Impact on the planete - Investing in sustainable capacity and production
Share of sustainable electricity production in total supply
Employees - Safety
Lost Time Injury Rate (LTIR) Eneco Group
Recordable Incident Frequency (RIF) Eneco Group6
Employees - Cultural values
Internal alignment7 [%]
Employee Motivation Score
- 1We have asked our accountant to assess if the KPIs are a reliable and adequate reflection of the company policy. The KPI 'Number of customer contracts Eneco' was not included in the assessment by the accountant because it is a new KPI that was introduced in 2015. Further information on the scope of the KPIs can be found in the section Scope strategic KPIs. The definitions of the KPIs NPS, LTIR, RIF and ROACE can be found in the Glossary.
- 2This KPI does not include transmission contracts between customers and Stedin.
- 3The percentage of satisfied customers is measured as the average percentage of the customers that awards a 7 or higher for the service provided.
- 4Another term used in the sector for Average interruption duration electricity per affected customer is Customer Average Interruption Duration Index (CAIDI). This KPI relates to the low and medium-voltage grids. Average interruption duration gas is calculated on the basis of the System Average Interruption Duration Index (SAIDI). See Glossary.
- 5This KPI shows the reduction compared with 2012 of the emissions of the greenhouse gases CO2, CH4 and N2O relating to the electricity consumption of the business premises of the Eneco Group excl. Ecofys as well as grid losses in connection with the transmission of electricity. This KPI does not include emission of the greenhouse gas SF6 and the greenhouse gas emissions in connection with mobility. See the Glossary for a description of the greenhouse gas SF6.
- 6The RIF was not included in the audit by the accountant in 2013 and 2014.
- 7A different method was applied in 2015. The score for 2015 is presented as a percentage; the scores for 2013 and 2014 are numbers on a scale from 0 to 100. See the Glossary for more information.
Adjustments strategic KPIs 2016
The following changes will be implemented in the 2016 annual report: the Net Promoter Score Eneco will be replaced by Customer satisfaction Eneco ; the KPI Reduction of effect gas and heat consumption of customers on climate change compared with 2012 will be added; we will no longer report on the KPI Share of sustainable electricity production in total supply portfolio in connection with the shift in focus to reduction of carbon emissions, which is anchored in the One Planet Thinking KPIs; the KPI Active use of smart meter will be added; the Lost Time Injury Rate (LTIR) Eneco Group will no longer be reported separately in addition to the Recordable Incident Frequency (RIF) Eneco Group.
Financial key figures
(amounts in millions of euros)
Total revenues 1
Revenues from energy and energy-related
Operating income before depreciation (EBITDA)
Operating profit (EBIT)
Cash flow from operating activities
Balance sheet total
Investments in property, plant and equipment
Interest coverage ratio 2
- 1Total revenue: Revenues from energy and energy related as well as other revenue.
- 2Interest coverage ratio: Operating profit divided by financial income and expenses.